back to reports

Sunmart 50-Mile/White Rock Marathon Double
(aka SunRock)
Huntsville, TX/Dallas, TX
December 9-10, 2006

by Ryan Loehding

This is not a "real" race report. Just some things I remember doing over the weekend...

I shook Bill Rumbaugh's hand before boarding the shuttle to HSP.
I hugged Terrie Gorney of Fort Bend Fit.
I saw Don Ruggles and found that he plans to be back at RR100 for another shot at a buckle in 2007.
I asked Ken Ashby if he would run the Rock.
I ran alongside Mark Godale.
I watched the Russians run past me like I was standing still after they had gotten back on course.
I stuffed my MP3 player in my drop bag after the first loop.
I said "hello" to T.O., Thorbjorn, Scott, Bill, and a whole bunch of people who live in and around H-town.
I saw Marshall King as he was about 23 miles into walking for 50 miles.
I watched Robert King run me down with about 5 miles left and congratulated him for winning TMR.
I drank a Shiner from a Styrofoam cup with old friends from Sugar Land Finish Line Sports.
I ate a double cheeseburger while some people from Austin told me about this crazy guy who had run the 50k and was planning to run the Dallas Whiterock marathon.
I met my wife and our three kids who would haul me back to the metroplex.
I helped Hal Koerner get his rental car started with my jumper cables.
I rode shotgun back to Carrollton.
I took a hot shower and coughed up "chunks".
I drank 2 PBRs and ate a can of smoke oysters.
I bummed a ride to the AAC with my neighbor.
I saw Tom Crull in the parking garage.
I cross another starting line.
I saw Ken Ashby again.
I chatted with Mark Dick briefly as we ran up a hill.
I looked for Letha at mile 9 but saw her at mile 19 with beer in her hand and a smile on her face.
I saw a co-worker who volunteered as a course-guide.
I crossed another finish line.
I watched Dave Reeder, another co-worker whom I had trained with at a HS track on Tuesdays, as he qualified for Boston with 48 seconds to spare.
I found some beer in the AAC.
I saw Dave Emerson earned his "TOP 100 FINISHER" hat even though he had done the 24 hour Ultracentric not so long ago.
I found my neighbor, had a few more beers, and went home.


 © North Texas Trail Runners                        member_rrca_80